Everything you always wanted to know about the technology behind Psyke.org (but were afraid to ask).
I use PerlFect Search to provide search functionality on psyke.org.
It is open source, free and very easy to set up.
If, like me, you don’t like the default search highlighting method (words in ignored parts of the page get highlighted), you can use my changes: patch.txt (diff -cw against search.pl v1.97).
The Psyke.org Forum runs phpBB. The templating system is a bit complicated, but it is very easy to install and run.
The picture section is built with the free photo album generator JAlbum.
To the best of my knowledge, all pages in this site validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict.
To manage the site, I use a collection of homemade tools. They are all written in Perl, and can be downloaded by following the links below.
All scripts are published under the GNU General Public License.
- The script that generates the site from source content and a set of templates. Makes it very easy to maintain structured sites like Psyke.org.
- Recommend (1.1.0)
- This is the script that runs the ‘Tell a Friend’ feature.
- phpBBarc (1.0.0)
- I use this script to generate a static HTML archive of the phpBB forums.
- WebBBSArchive (1.0.2)
- I used this script to convert the data from the old WebBBS-based forums to static html pages for the archive. Uses templates to generate output.
- google.pl (1.2.0)
- Generates the top ten lists in the link section. To use this tool, you need to download the Google Web Api developer’s kit and obtain a Google license key.