Alternatives to Self Harm
As many psychologists will tell you there are many more constructive ways to relieve tension other than self harm. However if some are suggested to a person who self harms they may think that you are being patronising so be careful. There follows a list of recommended alternatives to self harm, suggested by people who self harm themselves.
- Using face paints to paint where they usually hurt themselves.
- Drawing and painting what they feel inside is easier than expressing it in words.
- Tearing up newspapers. This uses up a lot of strength and anger.
- Playdoh can take a lot of anger out of a person and can be remoulded and used again. This keeps the person entertained and using their hands, thus helping to take their mind off their problems.
- Bottlebanks are a great way to smash glass when the need arises, but in a safe environment.
There are many more but these are recommended by self harmers and so they do not seem as patronising as those recommended by people with authority.